Live to Freeze Dried: Helpful hints
Freeze dried food items have become a popular feeding choice for many pet owners. This food choice is ideal for those who do not want the hassle or maintenance of live prey. Fluker Farms has put together a few simple tips to help aid your reptile from live to freeze dried food. About half of all reptiles will readily take to freeze dried foods; the other half will need a little encouragement.
* Start slowly, your reptile will need some time adjusting to the new food.
* Start by adding a small amount to the current food of your reptile. Every couple of days, add a larger amount until the transition is complete. Be sure to add extra moisture in the environment to compensate for the loss of fluids found in live prey.
* Another transition method with a high success rate is to mix the freeze dried food with fruits or vegetables.
* Be sure to research the recommended daily intake of fruits and vegetables for your reptile before mixing; some can be potentially harmful!
* You can also mix the freeze dried prey with baby food (such as peaches or bananas) to persuade him to eat.
* If your reptile is tame enough to feed by hand, you can wiggle the freeze dried food in front of him to give the impression of live prey.